City Attorney

Responsibilities to the City

The City Attorney's Office serves the public interest by providing the City of Burlington with affordable, high quality proactive legal advice and representation in order to avoid unnecessary litigation. 

The city attorney provides legal assistance to the city, including:

  • Advice to departments, the mayor, and council
  • Representation in legal matters
  • Drafting or approval of legal documents, contracts, ordinances, and resolutions
  • Prosecution in Municipal Court of all misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor cases under city ordinances

The City Attorney's Office develops and maintains standardized city contracts as well as participates as counsel in real estate transactions.

Additional Services

The City Attorney's Office handles a full range of environmental issues, including the Shoreline Management Act, water resources, and long-term policy development.

The City Attorney's Office represents the City of Burlington in a wide range of issues including litigation and other legal matters that involve the City.

Civil vs. Criminal Matters

In addition to the civil matters described above, the City Attorney's Office oversees the prosecution of criminal and civil infractions charged in the Burlington Municipal Court.

The City Prosecuting Attorney represents the City of Burlington in misdemeanor cases and infractions involving violation of city ordinances inside the city limits, which are filed in the City of Burlington Municipal Court. 

Please call 911 or contact the Burlington Police Department to report a crime.

City Prosecution is handled by:

Zachor, Stock & Krepps, Inc., P.S.
19401 40th Ave. W, Ste 205
Lynnwood, WA 98036
Phone: 425-778-2429
FAX: 425-778-6925

Attorneys should send their Notice of Appearance and Request for Discovery to Zachor, Stock & Krepps. If you wish to email them, please contact them at their office via phone at the number listed above. Otherwise, please send your NOA to their office at the address listed above. Please file the originals with the Court Clerk. Discovery is returned by email or a link to a third-party website.

Low-Income Assistance

If you are low income and need assistance and the matter is not a city issue, you can obtain free legal assistance by contacting CLEAR or Community Action of Skagit County. These agencies are not affiliated with the City of Burlington.

Contact Information

For information concerning any legal matter involving the city, including criminal cases, contact the City Attorney's Office and you will be directed to the appropriate party.

  • This includes claims for damages against the city, nuisance complaints, information about city ordinances, or any other civil matter.

Prohibited From Giving Public Legal Advice

The city attorney's client is the legal entity of the City of Burlington. City attorneys and staff are prohibited from providing legal advice to the public or to parties other than the municipal corporation of the City of Burlington.