Hosting a Special Event

Are you considering the city of Burlington as a possible location for your special event?

A Permit Application should be submitted to the City of Burlington if one or more of the following applies to your event: 

  1. The event will be held on City public streets, sidewalks, walkways, trails or on other publicly owned property,
  2. The event interferes with normal vehicular or pedestrian traffic and/or requires the use of City services,
  3. The event is on private property, but cannot be self-contained (i.e. parking spills over onto City owned public property) and/or requires the use of City services, and/or closure of City streets.

Specific activities that require a permit include (but, are not limited to) the following:

  • Bike Races
  • Bike/Walk-a-thons
  • Block Parties
  • Carnivals
  • Fairs/ Festivals
  • Fun Runs
  • Group Marches / Parades / Processions
  • Parking Lot Auto Sales
  • Relay Races
  • Street Vendor Sales


  • If your special event activity will take place in or will include a City park, a Special Event Permit Application should be submitted to the Burlington Parks & Recreation Department. 900 E. Fairhaven Avenue
    Burlington, WA 98233
    (Use East Entrance at Regent Street)
    360-755-9649 or Email
  • Contact the Burlington Planning Department for permit information and application concerning activities that do not include use of a City park in your event plans. Burlington Planning Department
    833 S. Spruce Street
    Burlington, WA 98233
    (City Hall – First Floor) 360-755-9717 or Email

FORMS: Special Event Guidelines (PDF)
Special Event Permit Application (PDF)
Vendor Permit Application - (Food, Merchandise or Service)